Warm Mushroom and Asparagus Salad
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp orange zest
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp rice syrup*
2 tbsp water
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tsp grainy mustard
12 oz button mushrooms, halved
6 oz asparagus, ends trimmedand halved diagonally
1 red bell pepper, cut intothin strips
6 cups mixed baby greens
* Made from brown rice; less sweet and less acidifying than sugar.
1. In a 4 1/2 qt saucepan, combine the fruit juices and zest over high heat; stir well. Add molasses, rice syrup, water, garlic and mustard. Stir well and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Add mushrooms and toss for 2 minutes; remove from heat.
2. In a 12” skillet, arrange the asparagus in a single layer. Add water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 1 minute. Drain and place in a medium-sized bowl of ice water to prevent further cooking. Drain again.
3. Remove mushrooms from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and place in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Place saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2-4 minutes, or until slightly thickened and syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
5. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, asparagus, red pepper and salad greens; toss well. Arrange equal portions in 6 salad bowls, drizzle with the sauce and serve.
Serves 6. Analysis per serving: 78 calories, 3g protein, 1g fat (none saturated), 3g fiber,
18g carbohydrate, 35 mg sodium
Reprinted with permission from The Amazing Acid Alkaline
Cookbook by Bonnie Ross (Square One, www.squareonepublishers.com/titles_AcidAlkalineCookbook.html)