BBQ Steak and Avocado Salad
1 1/4 lbs flank steak
1 cup frozen corn kernels
16 oz assorted mixed greens
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup black beans, cooked or canned (if canned, rinse well)
1/2 cup low-fat plain kefir
1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
1 tsp each chopped
cilantro, chopped green onion and lime juice
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 cucumber, peeled,
1/4 tsp minced garlic
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Marinate steak overnight in 1/2 cup hickory-smoke BBQ sauce, 1/8 cup lime juice, 2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chopped garlic and salt & pepper.
2. Grill steak until internal temperature reaches 145°. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice across the grain on a bias into 16 slices.
3. Thaw corn, place on oiled pan, spray with olive oil and roast in 350° oven for 20 minutes.
4. Wash mixed greens; divide among four plates. Peel and dice avocados,
then add remaining salad ingredients plus 4 steak slices to each plate.
5. Blend dressing ingredients until smooth. Drizzle onto salad.
Serves 4. Analysis per serving: 709 calories, 57g protein, 34g fat (11g saturated),
14g fiber, 47g carbohydrate, 594 mg sodium
Recipe provided by Chef Judith Hallisey, Director of Culinary Services, Cancer Treatment Centers of America,
Midwestern Regional Medical Center