Escarole-Garlic Soup with Chickpeas
1 bunch escarole (about 1 lb)
4 tbsp olive oil
5-6 medium cloves fresh garlic, finely minced or pressed
1 medium onion, sliced
2 qt chicken broth (fresh or canned)
2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
1 can (16 oz) chickpeas, drained
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1. Rinse and drain escarole. Cut crosswise into thin pieces.
2. Place oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add escarole,
garlic and onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 cup broth, cover and simmer over low heat 25-30 minutes.
(The leaves will shrink as they cook.) Add more broth if liquid is being
absorbed too quickly, to avoid burning.
4. Add remaining broth, parsley, chickpeas and pepper to taste.
Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.
5. To serve, place 1/2 cup rice in each bowl and pour soup over.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serves 4. Analysis per serving: 485 calories, 22g protein, 19g fat (3g saturated),
Source: The Garlic Lovers’ Cookbook Volume II, by the
Gilroy Garlic Festival Association (Celestial Arts)